Heritage Resorts awarded Green Key Eco-Label
This news coincides with the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development by the UN’s World Tourism Organisation, and a year where sustainable travel has been highlighted as a key travel trend by ABTA.
Heritage Resorts are already committed to protecting the environment through numerous initiatives, and have now committed to undertaking a number of new projects to increase the sustainability of its two hotels. These include:
- An awareness campaign to educate staff about the best green practices in the workplace
- Install water-conserving fixtures in rooms and communal spaces
- Create a compost zone in the Domaine de Bel Ombre to reduce food waste
- Build an organic vegetable garden and an endemic plant garden at Heritage Awali, with plans to introduce a similar concept at Heritage Le Telfair
- Work with local suppliers to ensure their practices are in line with Heritage Resorts’ philosophy, which includes favouring local produce
- Replace all household products with certified, alternative, eco-friendly products
- Partner with local NGOs to raise public awareness of environmental issues within our communities
- Collaborate with the local community to launch a programme to educate local people from the Bel Ombre region for employment in the Villa Valriche teams.
With the new Green Key certification, Heritage Resorts’s environmental team will make even greater efforts to provide sustainable service. As travellers become increasingly aware of tourism’s impact on the environment, being awarded the Green Key Label adds even more value to hospitality brands.
“We are very proud to have obtained this Green Key certification for Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali, which rewards the ongoing efforts of our teams during the past few months. This certification is part of our strategy to position Heritage Resorts on the Domaine de Bel Ombre as a reference for sustainable development in the tourism industry,” Jean-Cyril Jullienne, Chief Human Resources Officer of VLH, told Essential Journeys.
- All images of Mauritius courtesy Heritage Resorts